Awards and Scholarships
1 – Undergraduates
1.1 – NSERC / Faculty of Science Undergraduate Summer Research Awards
- Faculty of Science deadline: Friday, January 26th, 2018
These awards are intended to stimulate the interest of undergraduate students in research by providing them with valuable experience in a scientific research environment, and to encourage them to undertake graduate studies. Students holding one of these awards must be exposed to research activities during their work period.
1.2 – Microbiology offers four undergraduate awards on the basis of scholarship
- Mindel and Tom Olenick Medal and Prize is awarded to a graduating student in the Bachelor of Science Honours degree program with the highest standing in Microbiology or Biochemistry Honours throughout the program.
- Mrs. Edna S. Hollier Scholarship is for students completing their second year in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology. The award is based on high academic standing for students taking a full course load.
- Mrs. Edna S. Hollier Scholarship is for students completing their third year in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology. The award is based on high academic standing for students taking a full course load.
- Oscar Vong Memorial Scholarship is to a student who has completed the second year of study in the Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science and achieved the highest standing of eligible students with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. The student must be enrolled full-time in the third year of study in an honours program in the Department of Microbiology.
*applications are not required
1.3 University Undergraduate Research Award (URA)
The Office of the Vice-President, Research and International, in partnership with the University of Manitoba Student Union (UMSU) is pleased to offer this exciting opportunity for up to 172 students. Ten awards will be dedicated to Indigenous students and two awards will be dedicated for community-based research projects.
The Undergraduate Research Awards offer:
A rewarding experience for students to be mentored full-time with a professor of their choice for 16 weeks (May to August) and to gain valuable experience in their field of interest. a $7,000 monetary award.
For more information please visit: http://umanitoba.ca/research/experience_research/about.html