Awards and Scholarships
Updated August 7 2020
NSERC CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS – DOCTORAL (CGS-D) & POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS (PGS-D)
Variable; $21,000 to $35,000 per year for 1-3 years · For PhD students
Research Field(s): Natural Sciences and Engineering
Deadline: October 2, 2020
CIHR CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS – DOCTORAL (CGS-D)
$35,000 per year for 3 years · For PhD students
Research Field(s): Health Sciences
Deadline: October 2, 2020
Upcoming Master’s competitions: NSERC CGS-M, and CIHR CGS-M:
This competition has not yet been launched by the Tri-Agencies. When it launches, the award will be advertised to all graduate students in our “Upcoming Awards and Deadlines” email that is sent out each week to all currently registered graduate student’s U of M email accounts.
Deadline information for CGS-M: there is no separate internal deadline set by the institutions for the CGS-M competition. The deadline is December 1st annually – so the deadline for submission of a complete CGS-M application online this year is Tuesday, December 1st, 2020.
After that date, the application system via the Research Portal will close and late applications will not be accepted.
Information on the CGS-M application for all three Agencies can be found on the CGS-M website – this website may be updated when the competition launches so I would advise checking back for changes:
Instructions on submitting a CGS-M application can be found here when the competition launches:
Information on uploading your official transcripts and attachments as part of the CGS-M application online:
HAWIRKO, ROMA ZENOVEA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP 2020 Deadline September 25
Information to apply can be found here
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF) 2020 Deadline September 10th, 4:30 PM
This year, the Department of Microbiology received one allocation for a PhD student.
Total amount of $18,000 per year for up to 48 months
- Pursuing a PhD in Microbiology
- minimum admission GPA of 3.00 based on their admission to their current graduate program.
academic achievement, experience in research, and research potential
- Application Package (UMGF Application 2020)
- Two letters of reference (sent separately to Stephanie Carter)
- The deadline for applications to be electronically submitted to Stephanie Carter is September 10th, 2020 4:30 PM
Amber Scholarship Fund (2020 Deadline September 10th, 4:30 PM)
- The Amber Scholarship Fund is administered by the Winnipeg Foundation and provides scholarships to high achieving graduate students studying Microbiology at the University of Manitoba. One scholarship is awarded per year for $1,500.
- Pursuing MSc or Ph.D. in Microbiology
- must have completed a minimum of 6 credit hours of graduate-level with a minimum GPA of 3.5 based on the previous 6 credit hours of study from graduate-level courses the student has taken in their current program.
- academic achievement and research potential
- Thesis proposal (max. 1,000 words) including progress
- A current academic transcript (web copy is accepted)
- One letter of reference by supervisor (sent separately to Stephanie Carter)
- Curriculum Vitae containing education and graduate program start date, Graduate GPA, Research and work experience, Awards, Publications, and Conferences presentations
Please, compile your application in one PDF file named: Last name_First name_Amber
Deadline for applications to be electronically submitted to Stephanie Carter is September 10th, 2020 4:30 PM
Howard Lees Scholarship in Microbiology (no application required)
- For a student who becomes a first-year M.Sc. or PhD student in Microbiology within 8 months of graduation with a B.Sc. Honours or Major in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology from the University of Manitoba. Nominated by the Department of Microbiology. No application required
Travel Awards (available throughout the year)
The Department of Microbiology provides travel awards up to $200 to two students per supervisor per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). To apply, fill in the attached application and send it to the Departmental Office Administrative Assistant Stephanie.Carter@umanitoba.ca
The Faculty of Science will match the Departmental Award with an equal amount up to $200 (https://www.sci.umanitoba.ca/students/graduate-students/grad-student-travel-support/).
Students must apply to both sources of funding regardless of the amount to claim.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies also provides funds for traveling. Check the Award Database for FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES TRAVEL AWARD and this link
Internal, External and Nee-Based-Funding Awards information
- Visit the Graduate Student Funding and Awards Page
- Check the Full Listing of upcoming award deadlines