About Us

The Department of Chemistry at the University of Manitoba opened in 1904 with the appointment of the Department’s first professor and head, Professor Matthew Parker.

Today, the research and teaching facilities of the Department are housed in the Parker Chemistry Building, a five-story building which forms part of the University’s Science complex. The Chemistry Department is one of the largest departments in the University of Manitoba, with over 30 academic and support staff, around 55-60 graduate students, about 130 undergraduate Chemistry/Biochemistry students, nearly 20 postdoctoral fellows/research associates. We are an energetic and diverse faculty, focused on providing the highest quality training to our students and performing top-notch research in our respective areas.